PREWORKOUT SNACKS(2- 4HRS BEFORE)
- Sandwich/jacket potato with chicken, fish, beans, cottage cheese, peanut butter.
- Pasta with tomato based sauce and cheese.
- Rice/grains with chicken, fish or veg.
- Porridge with milk.
- Fish pie.
- Lean chilli/veg beef.
- Noodles with tofu/chicken and veg.
- Peppers stuffed with rice.
- Poached eggs on toast.
PRE WORK OUT SNACKS(1-2 HRS BEFORE)
- Fresh fruit such as a banana.
- Dried apricots or sultanas.
- Energy bar.
- Diluted fruit juice drink.
- Energy shake.
REFUELING AFTER TRAINING
Carbs(within 20mins) and protein(within 1-2 hrs).
- Protein shake.
- Fresh fruit with some milk(cow, soy, goats)
- Porridge with fruit and yogurt and chia seeds.
- Fruit smoothie(banana and almond milk/milkshake.
- Probiotic Yogurt drinks.
- Sports bars.
- Sandwich with tuna or cottage cheese.(preferably whole meal bread)
- Couple of Oat cakes or ryvita with some protein like cottage cheese.
- Bowl of wholegrain cereal/porridge with milk or yogurt.
- Jacket potato with protein (tuna, baked beans, cottage cheese.)
The suggestions above are to give you an idea but feel free to swap around i.e tuna for chicken, pasta for rice etc.
Following your post work out snack follow every 2-4 hrs making sure they are low fat moderate protein and carbohydrates. Eating 4-6 smaller meals will ensure there is a constant supply of fuel to your muscles.
Make sure you are properly hydrated before training. Checking your urine is a good method, dark coloured urine is a sign of dehydration aim for light coloured urine by drinking lots of water. Have drank at least 400-600ml of water 2-3 hrs before you train. Replacing electrolytes is important after exercise to replace potassium and sodium. (Emergency c sachets in water.) Apple juice and water 3 parts to 1 during training can help in energy levels. Happy training everyone and remember the importance of Nutrition during training & hydration….