Hormonal imbalance can manifest in everything from mood swings and cravings to PMS, cramps, and even infertility. From the annoying to the devastating, the truth is that hormonal imbalance doesn’t have to be part of your reality. Now I am not saying they are not common! Let’s be honest I speak to women on a daily basis who are struggling with all of the above. But it does not have to be your normal!
Wouldn’t it be great if there was something quick, easy, and tasty that could help support your hormones? Something tasty ( yes its green!) and so packed full of hormone goodness that you’ll be licking your lips and wondering, “how on Earth can this be good for me Michelle?” Well, you’re in luck, oh did I mention I am Irish, so green and good luck are very much part of my game plan 😊. I’m going to share one of my Hormone reset plan smoothies. A true gorgeous green smoothie that every woman needs for hormonal health and balance.
Before we jump into the recipe, let’s take a moment to dish about the WHY behind this choice. Why is my gorgeous green smoothie the perfect choice to help balance your hormones? It is not the only thing we focus on, but as I always say- Start with what you can include daily instead of focusing on what you need to take away.
Green Smoothies are all the rage (and rightly so)! Dark leafy greens are among the most nutrient-dense and nutritious foods out there. Every food post I do contains the power of green leafy’s. If you’re like most people I know, the idea of eating more greens may make you scroll to the next post! But hear me out…. There’s a bit of a fear factor with greens. We are afraid that they’re going to taste gross and so we avoid them! I mean most of us to carry this from childhood when we were served overcooked, boiled to within an inch of our life broccoli.
Enter the gorgeous green smoothie. It’s really a secret weapon and something I now include daily. As a busy mum getting 2 small humans to school, I need something I can prep the night before, keep me full for a few hours and also the knowledge that I am actually healing my body with food not killing it! (slightly dramatic maybe).
Blending is part of the magic. Blending breaks down all the ingredients, which is especially helpful with those greens! A high-powered, high-speed blender, I invested in a nutri bullet which is amazing for the texture and is key to making a gorgeous green smoothie that you will love. We want smooth and creamy smoothies. Gritty, grainy green smoothies will sooner hit the bin than warm your cockles, so make sure you start with the right equipment.
Balance is the other key to the gorgeous green smoothie’s success as a hormone helper. Fat, fiber, and protein are a powerhouse combo that helps you achieve stable blood sugar, the removal of toxins and excess hormones and supply the building blocks for hormones. Yes, I know you hear me bang on about the 3 amigos but it’s true.
Why I choose blended juices for breakfast
- Blending retains the fiber (juicing does not). Fiber acts as your body mop in the intestines. It helps bind to toxins and waste products thrown off by the liver and the digestive process so they can be excreted. When excess hormones are in the body, they can wreak havoc, so fiber becomes an important friend for balancing hormones that helps get them out so they can do no harm.
- The base greens are great for getting crucial vitamins and minerals that are essential.
- The bitter greens help stimulate the liver, (which is the organ largely responsible for cholesterol production and of course our friend bile. The liver produces almost 80% of the cholesterol in the body. Cholesterol is the precursor to steroid hormones and is critical for hormone balance!) Read more on the liver and its role here.
The Ingredients for Your Hormone-Balancing Smoothie
- 1 cup baby spinach, baby kale or Swiss chard OR I love a combination
- 1 Tablespoon fresh parsley & coriander
- One peeled fresh or frozen banana
- 1 Tablespoon organic dandelion greens
- 1/3 cup chia seeds
- 1/3 cup hemp seeds
- ½ cup of frozen berries
- ½ cup of filtered water
- Liquid stevia, if needed, to sweeten
- OPTIONAL 1 serving of quality protein powder(I use sun warrior but feel free to use another quality bran but be sure to do your research)
Benefits of the Hormone-balancing Smoothie
1. The Base Greens
- Kale – Kale is a superfood that contains indole 3 carbinol and calcium D glucarate. Both help to detoxify and metabolize estrogen through the detox pathways.
- Spinach – Spinach is rich in iron, magnesium, and micronutrients.
- Swiss chard – is rich in antioxidants like beta-carotene and lutein. Antioxidants help the liver produce glutathione, which is a powerful detoxifier.
2. Herbs and their Benefits
Our green smoothie includes dandelion greens, coriander, and parsley – all of which are powerhouses for liver health. These herbs are considered bitter, and bitter stimulates the liver in a good way that supports assimilation, detoxification and secretion of bile.
3. Fruits and their Benefits
Fruits are nature’s sweets and help balance out the earthy, bitter taste of the greens. I mean I love this taste but for most a little fruit helps the balance of the green smoothie. Berries are so yummy and nutritious, but if you need to mask the green flavour, opt for pineapple! All are rich in fiber, vitamin C, antioxidants and flavonoids which support healthy hormones.
4. Chia and Hemp Seeds
All seeds have wonderful health benefits and I use a lot of seed cycling in my programmes including my Align & Thrive 4-week cycle syncing course. Both seeds are great sources of fiber, omega-3 fats, and protein. Balanced blood sugar relies on all three. As does balanced hormones. I am yet to meet a woman with balanced blood sugar who is experiencing hormonal chaos. Hemp seeds also contain an especially beneficial type of omega-6 fat called gamma linolenic acid or GLA for short. GLA is a direct building block of good anti-inflammatory hormones.
We then just blitz everything together. I love mine to be cold which is why I’m like to add my frozen fruit on the day, but I add the other ingredients the night before to save time. You could even make a big batch, store it in the fridge and sip throughout the day.
Have I tempted you to give it a try?
Are you looking to step away from hormonal chaos and deprivation? Focusing on food is one of the first places I work as it is the foundation of everything I do as a Nutritionist, Personal trainer, mum and a woman in her 40’s.
I have a step-by-step plan packed full of 21 days of recipes for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, including smoothies, soups and snack recipes. More importantly, it does not take hours of cooking or fancy equipment which can halt you in your tracks with your progress.
You also receive as a bonus for the month of June as it is my birthday month a Free 30-minute consultation. During this time we will address any symptoms your experiencing and areas to pay particular attention to.
Book your 21 day Hormonal reset here.